Magic Hips

by Julie on November 5, 2010 · 7 comments

I am in awe of this poem.

When I found this video of Lucille Clifton reading her poem, Homage to my Hips, I must have watched it five times in a row, drinking in the sheer audacity of her words. Yes, audacity. She makes no apologies for taking up space with her big hips.

What a glorious thing – a woman’s body that moves and dances and sings of its own wild lusciousness.

She makes no apologies for being big, strong, and tremendously tantalizing.

Her hips go where they want to go and do what they want to do.

Oh to take up space with these hips, my hips, to know they belong here, to let them loose to sing hallelujah as they move and sashay with each and every step I take.

I could learn a thing or two from Lucille Clifton.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Renae C November 6, 2010 at 6:16 am

Wow. I wanted it to go on and on. What a phenomenal find! Thank you for sharing it with us. I think we should make today – “honor your magic hips” day! 😉

Julie November 6, 2010 at 6:34 am

Renae, Yes, let’s make it Honor our Magic Hips day, all day, maybe even every day. I know I walking differently already. xo

Janice Tomich November 6, 2010 at 6:29 am

Brilliant! Did you hear my belly laugh from Vancouver, Canada?

I agree Renae, I would love to hear/watch a long version.

As our hips should be!

Julie November 6, 2010 at 6:33 am

So that’s what that was. A Big ol belly laugh. I so get that. I was delighted and awestruck when I first watched… and, too, wanted it to go on and on. The poem is so short. I just wanted to witness and soak up more of her wisdom, her verve and vitality. What a beautiful energy and wisdom she has around her womanhood.
Thanks for stopping by, Janice. It’s lovely to have you here.

Marjory November 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Lovely words dear Julie! They invite me to dance, to let my body feel its divine rhythms! I leaped in joy when I watched the video.. haha I feel the same way:
“I could learn a thing or two from Lucille Clifton.”
Thanks for honoring our sacred hips. Love!
Marjory

Julie November 6, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Marjory,
She’s amazing, huh! So confident in her beauty, in her power, in her body.
xo
julie

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }