In This Unshaped Place

by Julie on May 12, 2011 · 23 comments

i’ve come home
a new home, an old home
home where body lives
body where soul lives

i’ve moved into a new life
a life that has beckoned for years
a life that has yet to be shaped and hardened
with my need to feel in control

life has its own course
and I meet it willingly,
with an open heart,
or not, because that happens, too

right now, in this unshaped place,
i know that I don’t know
and I know that shapes and lines and the falling away of newness
can create the illusion of knowing

get settled
feel your self in this new place
of solitude and coming
know yourself anew

you will know when you know
until then, just breathe
and go about your day
meeting life as it comes

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Square-Peg Karen May 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

I love the vulnerability and openness in this poem – and am falling into the healing balm it offers me (“it’s not just you” kind of feeling). Thank you for sharing this, Julie

Julie May 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

Thank you, Karen.

Niki Andre May 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

Checked my stars today and came away with this: “enjoy the phenomenal freedom that comes along with surrendering control” (astrostyle.com) Not sure if you’re a Gemini but thought I’d share!

Julie May 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thanks, Niki. There is definitely freedom in surrender. I’m a Leo. 😉

pamela May 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Wow. Did you write this? All day I have been thinking of “meeting life as it comes.” Just breathtaking!

Julie May 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thank you, Pamela. Thank you.

Amy Palko May 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Oh, so beautiful, Julie. Breathing in your words, and the sense of the unshaped space that your words have created in my heart. Thank you thank you.
Amy
xx

Julie May 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thank you, Amy. Can’t wait for the big reveal!

Roxanne May 13, 2011 at 2:36 am

I am thrilled for what this new life is sending your way.

Antonia/EdenSol May 13, 2011 at 5:42 am

Ahh, the Beautiful surrender. 🙂 Thank you for your Wonderful wisdom. May the new unfold with ease and grace to reveal bountiful Blessings, Dear Julie.

Garrett May 13, 2011 at 6:48 am

Thank you, Julie, what a gift. Marvelous, simple, tender, wise poem. I need this, going through transitions and uncertainty today, needing to set aside regret for the past and anxiety about the future.

Robin May 14, 2011 at 4:05 am

Julie, you have articulated perfectly how I feel about my new life… this wondrous ‘unshaped place.’ Though I am happy now, I sometimes feel the old need to control. On such days, when I’m tired, fear beckons and anxiety about the future starts to take hold. Then I remember to breathe and take one day at a time, the way my mom always told me to. Your words affirm that this is the best way forward! Thank you.

helen May 14, 2011 at 5:53 am

this poem is a snapshot of where i am right now. “a life that has yet to be shaped and hardened with my need to feel in control” there is such power in these words! thank you for collecting and sharing these words in just the perfectly right order!

Brad May 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm

“you will know when you know
until then, just breathe
and go about your day
meeting life as it comes”

If I could travel back in time and pound but one though into my head this would be it. For me this idea was decades in the making but worth it in the end. Just breathe. Meet life as it comes. Poetry isn’t my thing, but this entire piece speaks to me; love it.

Brad May 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

It also feels intensely personal and I think that’s part of its appeal.

Shannon May 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Julie, this is so beautiful, wise, grounded and rooted..thank you for sharing the real-ness of your journey in such a poetic and inspiring way. much love, Shannon

Marta Luzim May 19, 2011 at 4:58 am

Thank you Julie for sharing your vulnerability in this poem. Tender and true. warmly, Marta

wholly jeanne May 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm

There’s so much that resonates with me here, so much that sparkles like diamonds. You know I like the part about you’ll know when you know and getting settled and just breathing. But what really warms my heart’s cockles is the notion of unshaped. Early in our lives, we learn letters and colors and shapes. When we can identify squares and triangles and circles, it is said we know. We are smart. But eventually, if we’re “lucky”, we get to a point where we realize that knowing involves unshaped places, awareness, openness, and not knowing.

Sera March 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm

You write from the hearts of so many. What a gift you have, Julie. What a gift you are.

Lynn / Power Chicks March 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

Gorgeous.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }